11 June 2009

The Man in the High Castle: Progress

So in my off-time from school assignments I've been keeping up with The Man in the High Castle. Quite frankly I'm not sure what to say about the book. So far it consists of various intertwining story-lines, that are certainley working toward a climax or some sort of conclusion (I hope, at least), and until I get there I cannot say much. Nevertheless, here are some observations:


Characters: Known for hasty writing, Dick leaves something to be desired in the prose, at least in my opinion he does. We must note, however, that he never aspired to lyrical heights, but -- according to interviews -- churned out stories mostly to pay the bills. Despite these short-comings, manages to create some interesting characters. My favorite is Mr. Tagomi.


Concepts: There have been some interesting concepts of aesthetics and history in the book so far. Dick plays with the nature of objects as real and fake, imitations and the real thing. This is a prominent theme; the book even appears to be self-aware that it is an imitation of real history, and there is a sense of metaficiton, as a book within the book has an additional alternate history per the ending of WW2.


Here is a fan trailer someone made for a would-be movie of the book. It's pretty interesting.




As I finish the book, I will post more.

No comments:

Post a Comment